By Megan McIntosh
The hottest food trend combines two popular diets, paleo and vegan. The paleo-meets-vegan lifestyle incorporates vegan-living with no animal products and paleo-dieting, which includes no dairy, grains, soy, legumes, or processed sugar. One health expert created Peganism as a movement toward healthier living. With Peganism, animal foods aren’t completely out of the question like they are with a vegan diet. Your diet should center on plant-based products while incorporating high-quality animal foods into your meals. Take our food advice and try this new trendy way of eating.
Here are some ways to get started with Peganism:
With all these food diet trends coming out every day, it’s difficult to figure out which one is actually the healthiest. With Peganism, you take the core of two popular diets and combine them. According to the creator, Peganism is one of the healthiest ways to eat. It’s so healthy that even Bob Harper, host of The Biggest Loser, follows it.
So how can you start this new healthy food trend?
1. Avoid sugar: Like with most diets, you’re going to want to avoid any added sugar. Peganism is a more natural way of eating, so you don’t want any added chemicals, either. That means avoid processed foods like chips and candy.
2. Eat lots of plants: Of course a diet that is part vegan is going to emphasize eating lots of vegetables and other plant-based foods. But luckily, it balances out with the ability to eat meat. As this is a part-Paleo diet, you’re going to want to make sure that you’re eating grass-fed, organic meat with your veggies.
3. Take it easy on the fruit: Since we’re avoiding added sugar, you also don’t want to eat too much sugar-heavy fruits like bananas. You want to go for fruits like berries which tend to have less sugar. But think of these fruits as a treat, not an everyday snack.
Related Link: Food Trend: Check Out the Best Diet-Friendly Snacks
4. Just say “no” to dairy: Dairy is apparently not agreeable to many people which might explain the influx of non-dairy based milk on the store shelves. Avoid real dairy if you can. You should also try to avoid products containing gluten.
Related Link: 5 Food Trends to Watch for in 2019
5. Meat is extra, not the main event: Meat should be an addition to your meal and not the star of the dish. Think of meat as a side and vegetables as the main course. There should be way more vegetables on your plate than meat.
Veganism and the Paleo diet can both seem overwhelming but this newest food trend combines the two to give you more food options while maintaining that healthy eating lifestyle.
Are there any other diet tips you would give when trying Peganism? Share below!