Cupid's Pulse Article: Health Advice: Safe Use of Cleaning Products at HomeCupid's Pulse Article: Health Advice: Safe Use of Cleaning Products at Home

It is important to read the label before using over-the-counter (OTC) medicines which can be used as cleaning products. It will help you take care of yourself and your family. All product substances should be labeled, which enables you to understand the role of the substance, how to use it, and make a concrete decision on whether to use it or not. Labeling of OTC medicines is recommended to enhance the safety of the consumers. After the “Drug Fact” label was introduced, the information has become easier for anyone to read and understand.

There are many reasons why it’s important to follow over-the-counter medicine labels, but the main one is that they help reduce accidental errors. Pharmacists have a standard procedure they use to manage their labeling, and the labels are distinct with instructions for both customers and pharmacists. They also help you to avoid errors of storage, as each drug has a required temperature it must be stored at to remain viable.

Isopropyl Alcohol 70

This substance, isopropyl alcohol 70, is a colorless liquid you can buy in a drug store. It is highly flammable and is used as a disinfectant killing all surface microorganisms. It is used to disinfect hands and equipment. You should handle it carefully and keep it out of the reach of children.

However, you should be careful about how you handle this product. It is a toxic substance, and your skin will quickly absorb it. Like other alcohol, it is flammable in the presence of an open flame, sparks, and heat. If you want to handle isopropyl in a working environment, ensure the substance does not come in contact with your skin. To avoid such injuries, wear protective clothing, including goggles and gloves. Your working area should also be well-ventilated. Isopropyl alcohol products used at home are less concentrated and toxic, compared to its counterpart for use commercially. Nevertheless, you should take the necessary precautions.


Bleach is actively used in homes because it acts as a stain remover and disinfectant. However, it is not an excellent substance for general cleaning. Luckily, other cleaning substances are available.

When using bleaching chemicals at home, you should be careful, depending on the purpose you’re using it. If you want to use it for cleaning, you should dilute it with water to ensure it is safe. However, if you’re not washing manually, but with a machine, there is no problem; you can pour it into the machine. It will be diluted with water in the machine.
If you want to use bleach to clean surfaces, first clean the surface before sanitizing. Use bleach and mix with water to disinfect clean places. After it has come into contact for about five minutes, you can rinse off to air dry.

Household cleaning products are made with chlorine bleach. However, there are also some other types of bleach, including peroxide bleach. Bleach is commonly used to whiten clothing, remove mildew, and mold. Therefore, to safely use bleach, dilute with water.

Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide substance is another thing you should take precaution while using. It has a chemical compound H2O2 meaning it has two oxygen and two hydrogen atoms. When in pure form, hydrogen peroxide is pale blue.

Hydrogen peroxide is usually packed in a dark brown bottle. If packed in a colorless bottle, it will break down and form plain water after exposure to light, air, and heat. The decomposition does not affect only that. When “fizz” disappears, only plain water will remain. When you buy hydrogen peroxide, store it properly in a cool and dry space where children can’t reach it. After opening the bottle, ensure you have used it within a month to get the best results. However, you can still use it within six months after you open it.

There are different ways to use hydrogen peroxide. An example is to clean your manicure and pedicure tools. Your tools, such as tweezers and eyelash curlers, will come into contact with bacteria and soil. When you dip them or run with hydrogen peroxide, it will sanitize the tools to prevent infections.

Bottom Line

Drugs and other chemical products should be stored appropriately. Some are highly flammable and will require a well-ventilated, cool, and dry place. The room you store your products should not be around ignition sources such as sparks, flames, and heat. After use, dispose of all the waste products according to environmental control regulations.