By Emily Green
Everyone needs to spice up their lives in one way or another, and what better way to do it then start playing with different spices in your food! In every aspect of society, we are constantly bringing bits of pieces of other cultures into our lives. Popular restaurants all around the world are adding these spices into their meals, and you can too!
Adding global spices to your dishes is quite the up and coming food trend. What are some of the best global spices to try in your meals?
Every country has unique spices that truly bring out the best in some signature dishes. By switching up some spices in your dishes, you can find a new flavor that your taste buds will absolutely love! Here are some of Cupid’s favorite global spices to try in your meals:
1. Urfa Biber: Also called isot pepper, urfa biber is a chili pepper from Urfa, Turkey. This spice is commonly used in the Middle East and brings that slight kick to any meal. If you love a smoky and fruity taste to your meals, this is the spice for you.
Related Link:¬†Food Trend: Millennial Flavors to Watch
2. Zhoug: While not an actual spice itself, this Middle Eastern cuisine will definitely bring the spice to your taste buds. This condiment is made of every mouth-watering spice you can think of- jalapeno peppers, chili flakes, garlic, cardamom and much more. Even if you love spice, we recommend you take it slow with zhoug, especially if you don’t want your mouth on fire.
Related Link:¬†5 Food Trends to Watch for in 2019
3. Ground Sumac: If you love a tangy flavor, ground sumac is the spice for you. Sumac brings a lemony flavor to your meals, all the way from the Middle East that you won’t ever regret trying.
4. Fennel: Fennel is a spice that brings a warm, flavorful taste you won’t forget. Fennel is commonly used in Italian, Indian and Middle Eastern cooking, and leaves every meal with a taste you will absolutely savor.
5. Harissa: A North African chili pepper powder, or paste that will leave your mouth on fire and wanting more! Many people use harissa by sprinkling it over their pasta, meat, anything, and give you that kick that will send your taste buds into overdrive.
What are some other global spices we should try? Let us know in the comments below!