By Courtney Omernick
Some argue that men and women CAN be ‘just friends’ and steer clear of a romantic relationship. However, sometimes friendships with members of the opposite sex can turn into something more. Below, Cupid has five celebrity couples who began their romantic journey in the friend zone.
1. Jordin Sparks and Jason DeRulo: At first, Jordin had a boyfriend and Jason was single. Then, Jason had a girlfriend and Jordin was single. The pair maintained a friendship while they both had different significant others, but once both of their status update’s read ‘single’, they turned their relationship into something more!
2. Kate Middleton and Prince William: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge met back in 2001 at St. Andrew’s University in Fife while studying Art History. At first, they were just friends, but their friendship turned into romance when the pair shared a flat together with two other students during their second and third years.
3. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West: It seems as though their relationship moved quickly, but these stars were friends long before their walk down the aisle. Kim and Kanye first met back in 2004 while Kim was married to Damon Thomas. After Kim’s divorce to Kris Humphries in 2011, Kanye was there to pick up the pieces, and the rest is history!
4. Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher: They may have been Jackie and Kelso for years on ‘That 70’s Show,’ but according to a source, the pair did not get along while playing each other’s love interest. It wasn’t until Ashton split from Demi Moore that these stars became friends! Now, Mila is pregnant with Ashton’s baby and plans to take a trip down the aisle with him soon.
5. Beyonce and Jay-Z: These A-listers were friends and talked regularly over the phone for 18 months before they went on their first date in 2000. In 2003, the couple finally admitted to the public that they were dating. Five years later, Beyonce became Mrs. Carter.
What other celebrity couples started off as friends? Share what you know in the comments!