By Courtney Omernick
No one ever said that getting a divorce is fun, but imagine your divorce being in every magazine and broadcast all over the television on the evening news. With the stress and pressures that Hollywood brings, it’s no wonder so many star’s marriages are over before they even started. Below are five of the nastiest celebrity divorces thus far.
1. Jon and Kate Gosselin: It seems the couple was getting ready for a divorce within a few months of America meeting their eight children. Kate ended up accusing Jon of taking $230,000 of the $231,000 they had in their joint bank account. Jon denied Kate’s claims stating that he only took $22,000 and that Kate is “hiding money.” For this couple, there were multiple accusations followed by a denial, then a rebuttal.
Related: Are Your Dating Standards Too High?
2. Denise Richards and Charlie Sheen: The breakup of this power couple was one of the ugliest Hollywood has ever seen! After three years of marriage, Richards filed for divorce in 2005 stating that Sheen was unfaithful, abusive, and addicted to prostitutes. Soon after, Sheen told Richards to “rot in ******* hell” and called her a “sad, jobless ****.”
3. Christie Brinkley and Peter Cook: After almost 10 years of marriage, Brinkley filed for divorce after learning that Cook had an affair with his 18-year-old assistant, Diana Bianchi. During the divorce trail, there were accusations that Brinkley raided Cook’s office, scratched his face out of family photos, and copied his hard drive. Brinkley ended up paying Cook $2 million, but she got to keep her 18 properties and was given custody of their two children.
4. Liza Minnelli and David Guest: These stars were married less than two years before Guest sued Minnelli for $10 million claiming that his wife beat him so badly during rages (spurred by alcohol) that he had suffered neurological damage and had to be hospitalized. From there, Minnelli countersued and accused Guest of stealing $2 million while he produced her shows. Over the next few years, more allegations surfaced, and the pair decided to call it quits in 2007.
5. Britney Spears and Kevin Federline: While the divorce itself wasn’t so much of a disaster, the custody battle was unbearable. Spears’s breakdown involving Kevin and their two sons, Sean Preston and Jayden James happened in January 2008 when she refused to turn the boys over to Federline for a scheduled visitation. Spears ended up hiding the boys in her home for four hours until police physically removed her and put her into a medical center.
What are some other nasty celebrity divorces? Share in the comments!