By April Littleton
The decision to have sex isn’t one that should be taken lightly, but it’s a personal choice. You may choose to wait until the love of your life comes along or you may not (just make sure you’re always safe). In Hollywood, many celebrities are quick to hop into bed with the next star they see standing next to them on the red carpet, but this isn’t true for every person who has the spotlight shining down on them. Some celebrities pledge abstinence because of their religious beliefs, while others hold out until marriage out of respect for themselves. Here are five couples who waited until their big day:
1. Kevin Jonas and Danielle Deleasa: Kevin Jonas, the eldest of the Jonas Brothers was very outspoken about his decision to abstain from sex prior to getting married. As a symbol of his beliefs, he wore a punk rock purity ring from Tiffany’s on his ring finger. Jonas married his longtime girlfriend and former hairdresser, Danielle Deleasa, on December 19, 2009. The purity ring was replaced with a wedding ring, and now, the happily-married pair is expecting their first baby.
Related Link: Celebrity Couples Who Cannot Wait to Become Parents
2. Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon: After her marriage with music executive Tommy Mottola came to a halt, Carey decided to remain celibate with Nick Cannon until they exchanged meaningful “I Do’s.” In a December 2008 interview for Mirror, Carey said, “I definitely don’t want to push it on anybody else. But we both have similar beliefs, and I just thought that it would be so much more special if we waited until after we were married.” The happy couple have been married for five years now and are parents to twins, Monroe and Moroccan Scott, age two.
3. Tina Fey and Jeff Richmond: The Saturday Night Live alum was a virgin until she met her husband and composer of 30 Rock, Jeff Richmond, at the age of 24. The couple dated for seven years before finally marrying in a Greek Orthodox ceremony June 3, 2001. The famous pair is now parents to two daughters, Alice Zenobia and Penelope Athena.
4. Adriana Lima and Marko JariÄ‡: In 2006, Lima told GQ Magazine that she had no plans to have sex until after she was married. The Brazilian Victoria’s Secret model married Serbian NBA player, Marko JariÄ‡, on Valentine’s Day 2009. Since then, the duo have become parents to Valentina and Sienna.
Related Link: 10 New Celebrity Moms
5. Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey: Although this couple has since broken up and moved on to different relationships, no one can forget these lovebirds from the early 2000s. Because of her religious background, Simpson announced she would remain a virgin until her marriage to Lachey. The pop stars married October 26, 2002, but unfortunately, things ended in divorce only four years later.
What are some other celebrity couples who waited for marriage? Share below.