Dating as a single mom is never easy, especially if youâ€™re trying to balance a busy career with raising your children. Even for celebrities, who have luxuries that not all single moms can afford, itâ€™s still a tricky thing to manage. The famous faces below have figured out a few ways to find love while still playing the most important role of their lives:
1. Make It a Family Affair: Before she got hitched, Reese Witherspoon was often seen with Jim Toth and her kids from her marriage to Ryan Phillipe. Rather than try to make time for romance and family, she simply included Ava and Deacon on her dates. The newlyweds even took her children on their honeymoon to Belize!
Michelle Williams has taken a similar approach in her relationship with Jason Segel. The couple is constantly seen with Matilda, Williamsâ€™ daughter with Heath Ledger, and they even split their time on both coasts based on the little girlâ€™s school schedule.
2. Date a Blast From Your Past: Sometimes, itâ€™s easier to date a guy from your past instead of searching for someone new. Denise Richards, mom to three girls, took this route, dating Heather Locklearâ€™s ex Richie Sambora. While it may have ruined her friendship with Locklear, she is still in an on-and-off relationship with the rocker.
Perhaps taking a cue from her former friend, Locklear, who has a daughter with Sambora, dated Jack Wagner, her costar from Melrose Place, for over four years before ending their engagement.
3. Meet Your Match on Reality TV: Emily Maynard, single mom to daughter Ricki Hendrick, has tried not once but twice to find love on reality television. First, she won the heart of Bachelor Brad Womack, only to end their engagement a few months later.
Rather than give up, Maynard tried again, becoming the most recent Bachelorette. She accepted Jef Holmâ€™s proposal, but they too broke up less than three months after the show ended. Despite this double dose of heartbreak, she has no regrets because she says she did fall in love with both men.
4. Stay In Your Inner Circle: Dating someone who your kids already know eliminates the need for awkward introductions and potential tension. Heidi Klum, who split from Seal after almost seven years of marriage, is now in a relationship with her bodyguard, Martin Kirsten. Luckily, her four children are already comfortable with him and are used to him being around.
Similarly, Courteney Cox has been rumored to be dating her Cougartown costar, Josh Hopkins. Coco, her daughter with David Arquette, knows Hopkins from her time spent on set, making the transition easier for her mom.
5. Depend On Your Ex: Staying on friendly terms with your ex can help your dating life as well. Jennie Garth, who recently split from her husband of 11 years, Peter Facinelli, has already been spotted with three different men. Thanks to her co-parenting routine with Facinelli, she has time to date while her three daughters hang out with their dad.
Likewise, Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz split time with their four-year-old son, Bronx. They both are frequently seen out and about with their significant others and even reunited recently to celebrate their little boyâ€™s birthday.
What’s the best dating lesson you learned from celebrity moms? Tell us in the comments below!