Letâ€™s be honest: remaining friends with your ex usually doesnâ€™t work. It might sound like a good idea in the beginning, especially if your relationship ended amicably. However, a few months later, youâ€™re sure to find yourself either pining away for them when they only see you as a friend or participating in late night hook-ups while one or both of you are dating someone else. To remind us about these consequences, here are Cupidâ€™s top five reasons why being friends with your ex isnâ€™t such a great idea:
1. You will be single forever: Okay, so maybe thatâ€™s a little extreme, but being friends with your ex can keep you from moving on and looking for someone new. Not only is hanging out with them precious time youâ€™re wasting when you could be finding someone who does want to date you, but it also prevents you from opening yourself up to the idea of being with someone else.
2. It will damage your new relationship from the start: With your ex still in the pictureâ€“even if you claim your feelings are just platonicâ€“how can you be fully committed to your new relationship? Give the new person a chance and dump the ex. The beginning of a new relationship is always a little hard, so donâ€™t make it any harder by keeping your ex around.
3. You will end up with a jealous partner: This is related to the second point, but it’s a little more specific. Think about how your current partner must feel with your ex still hanging around. Jealousy might not be attractive, but itâ€™s definitely warranted if youâ€™re constantly spending time with your ex.
4. Your ex wonâ€™t be able to move on: While this wonâ€™t necessarily ruin you (unless they become a stalker), itâ€™s not fair to your ex if youâ€™re giving them a false hope that there might be something more. While it may seem innocent on your end, there needs to be time after a relationship when both of you go your separate ways.
5. You could hook up with your ex while youâ€™re dating someone else: Whether youâ€™re the one with the new partner or they are, hooking up with each other isnâ€™t going to end well, and itâ€™s easy to consider doing so if you continue hanging out together. Â Remember this though, you broke up for a reason.
Maybe being friends with your ex wonâ€™t always ruin you, but itâ€™s likely to cause additional heartache when youâ€™ve already had your fill.
Has remaining friends with your ex actually worked? Share your comments below and let us know what you think.