ByÂ Brea Gunn
One moreÂ Hollywood divorce has entered the official records. Â Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries’ fairy tale marriage lasted less than three months. Â Say what you will, but I think that this whole mess could have been avoided if they made their relationship more private. Â When you live your life so publicly, Iâ€™m sure that itâ€™s difficult to separate reality … fromÂ reality TV. Â Even so, it seems that many stars have been swept away with the ratings, only to realize that they aren’t as perfectly matched as they originally thought.
Why donâ€™t we start at the beginning of the end? Â Here are seven former celebrity duos whose relationships may or may not have dissolved as a result of being featured on reality TV:
1. Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey: We all fell in love withÂ Jessica Simpson andÂ Nick Lachey on their series,Â Newlyweds. Â She was so sweet and innocent, and he was her protector. Â Unfortunately, they split shortly after their show wrapped in 2005.
2. Carmen Electra and Dave Navarro: This former coupleÂ took a run at reality television, too. Â They split while planning their wedding because they had agreed to air their plans on MTV and couldnâ€™t make up their minds.
3. Hulk Hogan and Linda Hogan: HulkÂ andÂ wife Linda split after filming multiple seasons ofÂ Hogan Knows Best.
Related: Hulk Hogan Supports Ex’s Engagement
4. Jon Gosselin and Kate Gosselin: This duo lasted longer than most, but split during their series that focused on them and their eight children.
5. Travis Barker and Shanna Moakler: RememberÂ Meet the Barkers? Â The former couple filed for divorce after only two seasons … and two and a half years of marriage. Â This on-and-off again couple is still a little confused about whether they should be together or not.
6. Christopher Knight and Adrianne Curry: Christopher Knight, a.k.a. Peter Brady, and his love,Â Americaâ€™s Next Top Model winner Adrianne Curry, split in May of this year. Â Apparently their show,Â My Fair Brady wasnâ€™t enough to keep them together.
7. Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries: Let’s face it:Â This whole debacle is going to be well overplayed while their divorce is pending.
The question is, what can you learn from all of these couples? A lot, actually. Â And your other half will thank you. Â Here are a few quick tips:
Have a Courtship
Itâ€™s old fashioned, but itâ€™s necessary. Â Kim and Kris dated for six months and look where it got them. Â Yes, Khloe and Lamar were engaged and married much faster and they are happily married, but theyâ€™re the exception, not the rule. Â So take your time and date your mate a while before deciding on mariage. Â Youâ€™ll learn more about each other, and be more prepared for a lifetime.
Watch for Warning Signs
I donâ€™t want anyone to be paranoid, but think about this: how often did Kim and Kris fight during their relationship? Â Iâ€™m not talking about the little disagreements, like where to have dinner. Â Iâ€™m talking about kids, your home, and money. Â If you canâ€™t come to an agreement that makes you both happy, youâ€™re not going to be happy, and youâ€™ll follow in some pretty famous footsteps.
Discuss the Big Stuff
Before the wedding, hash out all of the big issues. Â Discuss kids, money, location, pets and general life preferences. Â These are big items that you need to agree on before you walk down the aisle.
And after youâ€™ve tied the knot, how do you keep your relationship going strong? Â The most important thing is to remember three simple words: I love you. Â Say them, and then say them again.