By Brea Gunn
One more Hollywood divorce has entered the official records. Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries’ fairy tale marriage lasted less than three months. Say what you will, but I think that this whole mess could have been avoided if they made their relationship more private. When you live your life so publicly, I’m sure that it’s difficult to separate reality … from reality TV. Even so, it seems that many stars have been swept away with the ratings, only to realize that they aren’t as perfectly matched as they originally thought.
Why don’t we start at the beginning of the end? Here are seven former celebrity duos whose relationships may or may not have dissolved as a result of being featured on reality TV:
1. Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey: We all fell in love with Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey on their series, Newlyweds. She was so sweet and innocent, and he was her protector. Unfortunately, they split shortly after their show wrapped in 2005.
2. Carmen Electra and Dave Navarro: This former couple took a run at reality television, too. They split while planning their wedding because they had agreed to air their plans on MTV and couldn’t make up their minds.
3. Hulk Hogan and Linda Hogan: Hulk and wife Linda split after filming multiple seasons of Hogan Knows Best.
Related: Hulk Hogan Supports Ex’s Engagement
4. Jon Gosselin and Kate Gosselin: This duo lasted longer than most, but split during their series that focused on them and their eight children.
5. Travis Barker and Shanna Moakler: Remember Meet the Barkers? The former couple filed for divorce after only two seasons … and two and a half years of marriage. This on-and-off again couple is still a little confused about whether they should be together or not.
6. Christopher Knight and Adrianne Curry: Christopher Knight, a.k.a. Peter Brady, and his love, America’s Next Top Model winner Adrianne Curry, split in May of this year. Apparently their show, My Fair Brady wasn’t enough to keep them together.
7. Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries: Let’s face it: This whole debacle is going to be well overplayed while their divorce is pending.
The question is, what can you learn from all of these couples? A lot, actually. And your other half will thank you. Here are a few quick tips:
Have a Courtship
It’s old fashioned, but it’s necessary. Kim and Kris dated for six months and look where it got them. Yes, Khloe and Lamar were engaged and married much faster and they are happily married, but they’re the exception, not the rule. So take your time and date your mate a while before deciding on mariage. You’ll learn more about each other, and be more prepared for a lifetime.
Watch for Warning Signs
I don’t want anyone to be paranoid, but think about this: how often did Kim and Kris fight during their relationship? I’m not talking about the little disagreements, like where to have dinner. I’m talking about kids, your home, and money. If you can’t come to an agreement that makes you both happy, you’re not going to be happy, and you’ll follow in some pretty famous footsteps.
Discuss the Big Stuff
Before the wedding, hash out all of the big issues. Discuss kids, money, location, pets and general life preferences. These are big items that you need to agree on before you walk down the aisle.
And after you’ve tied the knot, how do you keep your relationship going strong? The most important thing is to remember three simple words: I love you. Say them, and then say them again.