By Tanni Deb
There’s been a media frenzy with the royal wedding taking place this Friday, and it’s no different than the publicity that surrounded the marriage of Prince William’s parents, Prince Charles and Princess Diana. In fact, Wills and Kate Middleton’s ceremony just might top the 1981 “wedding of the century,” which had 3,500 people at the ceremony in St. Paul’s Cathedral and approximately 750 million viewers worldwide – but we’ll have to wait until this weekend to find out. In honor of the exorbitant wedding talk, let’s take a look at the seven most hyped celebrity weddings of the last decade:
1. Russell Brand and Katy Perry: The couple exchanged vows last October in a traditional Indian ceremony in Rajasthan, India. Keeping up with rituals, Perry wore a sari, applied henna on her palms and wore a traditional Indian bridal nose ring. As a wedding present, Brand presented Perry with a female Bengal tiger, while the pop star bought Brand a baby elephant. The private wedding consisted of the couples’ closest family and friends and was held at a luxury resort.
2. Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman: The pair married in June 2006 in Sydney, Australia, exchanging vows at the Cardinal Cerretti Memorial Chapel, which was decorated with 1,000 candles and overlooked Sydney’s Manly beach. More than 200 guests were present, including actors Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman. The night’s highlight was when Urban sang hit song, “Making Memories of Us,” to Kidman. The estimated wedding cost was $250,000.
3. Donald Trump and Melania Knauss: The pair married in January 2005 in Palm Beach, Fla. during a $1 million affair. Knauss wore a Christian Dior gown made from 300 feet of satin beaded with 1,500 crystals. Her 13-foot train weighed approximately 50 pounds. A 36-piece orchestra played the music and the couple hired Preston Bailey, a floral designer whose fees begin at around $100,000, to plan their wedding. Invited guests included Oprah Winfrey, Usher and Elton John.
4. Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren: Woods’ marriage to Nordegren in October 2004 at Sandy Lane resort in Barbados reportedly cost $1.5 million. Woods rented the entire hotel for the week, along with the island’s helicopter charter company, to make sure they had privacy. Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley were among the estimated 120 guests. The night ended with fireworks.
5. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes: The couple’s $2 million wedding was held at the Odescalchi Castle in Lake Bracciano, Italy on November 18, 2006. Giorgio Armani designed their attire and the $50,000 rental fee for the castle was waived as a wedding gift to the pair. More than 150 guests were invited, which included Will and Jada Pinkett Smith, Victoria Beckham, Jennifer Lopez, Jim Carrey and other celebrities. The evening ended with fireworks, classical music and Jennifer Lopez singing one of her own songs.
6. Jordan Bratman and Christina Aguilera: The pop star married music producer Bratman on November 19, 2005 at Staglin Family Vineyard in Napa, Calif. More than 130 guests attended the reception, where they had a 14-piece orchestra play. After their first dance, Aguilera dedicated a performance to Bratman. Forbes.com ranked Bratman and Aguilera’s wedding as the sixth most expensive celebrity wedding.
7. David Gest and Liza Minnelli: Ranked as the most expensive celebrity wedding ever by Forbes.com, Gest and Minnelli’s 2002 wedding cost approximately $3.5 million. Michael Jackson and Elizabeth Taylor served as the best man and maid of honor, respectively. Five hundred guests danced to a 60-piece orchestra, as well as Paula Abdul and Tony Bennett, who were asked to perform.
Don’t forget to tune into NBC on Friday, April 29 at 4 AM EST to watch Prince William and Kate Middleton tie the knot. Not near a TV? YouTube announced they will live stream the affair at 5 AM EST on the Royal Channel.