By Tammy Warner
It sometimes seems like every married couple in Hollywood is filing for a separation, an annulment or a divorce within a few months of their wedding day. There are a few celebrity marriages, however, that have managed to last despite the unique challenges that fame can present. Here are some couples who have defied the odds:
1. Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne: Perhaps the most unique couple on this list are Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne, who have been married since 1982. The Osbournes say that their relationship is stronger now than ever. Their marriage has definitely faced obstacles, but the two have beaten a hectic touring schedule and even a drug addiction. The pair have stood by each other through many life events, even working together on projects, and their 30th anniversary is this year.
2. John Travolta and Kelly Preston: John Travolta and Kelly Preston were friends for several years before dating, but once they were both finally single, Cupid’s arrow struck. The duo were married in a quick ceremony in Paris, France, in 1991. Their relationship has overcome allegations of infidelity–an unfortunately common problem for many celebrity couples–and the loss of their son. However, the two are still going strong.
3. Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson: Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson met in 1981, but romance didn’t blossom until 1985. The couple recently celebrated their 24th wedding anniversary, and both claim that they continue to fall more and more in love with each other. When most other celebrity marriages seem to be falling apart, Hanks and Wilson’s is a glowing exception.
4. Jon Bon Jovi and Dorothea Hurley: Like the Osbournes, Jon Bon Jovi and Dorothea Hurley have dealt with difficult touring schedules, drug abuse and infidelity throughout their long marriage. Despite the presence of these major issues, the couple always works through them. Bon Jovi still states publicly that Hurley “is the best ever.”
5. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith: Even though rumors have claimed that the marriage between Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith is over, both of them state that nothing could be further from the truth. Married in 1997, they are happily raising two children who appear to be following in their parents’ famous footsteps. They state that the reason they have made it in Hollywood is because they “continue to grow together,” and they will celebrate their 15th wedding anniversary this year.
These five couples aren’t the only celebrities who have managed to make their relationships succeed, but they are some of the brightest glowing examples. As they show, whether you are a celebrity or not, relationships can last with enough work, patience and determination.
Tammy is a freelance writer who contributes to various websites and Christian dating blogs. She enjoys writing about relationship issues.