By Diamon Hall
Going to the movies is a reliable, low-key date idea. However, they might be more enjoyable if the film has a love or relationship theme to it. Want to know our top picks for you and your honey to look forward to this summer? Take a look at these five, which are sure to get your hearts’ melting:
1. The Ledge (July 8): Terrence Howard stars as a police officer named Hollis in this sexy and suspenseful thriller. Gavin, played by Sons of Anarchy’s Charlie Hunnam, is tangled up in a love affair with his evangelical neighbor’s wife Shauna (Liv Tyler). Suspense comes into play when Gavin is reeled into a life or death situation by Shauna’s husband, Joe (Patrick Wilson). Hold onto your date until the end of this romantic thriller.
2. Friends With Benefits (July 22): This comedy stars Justin Timberlake as Dylan, a potential recruit who gets reeled into the Big Apple by headhunter Jamie (Mila Kunis). Despite their immediate attraction to each other, they realize they’re everything they’ve been running away from in a relationship. Deciding to keep it strictly physical, this sexy duo learn that a “no strings attached” affair is almost impossible.
3. A Little Help (July 22): Dental hygienist Laura Pehlke (Jenna Fischer) not only loses the love in her marriage, but also loses her husband to a heart abnormality. Her mother, Joan (Lesley Ann Warren), and sister, Kathy (Brooke Smith), step in to help and offer advice on how to cope with her husband’s death and deal with her angry and hostile son, Dennis (Daniel Yelsky). In the midst of all the confusion, Laura discovers that the only person she can truly confide in is Kathy’s husband, Paul (Rob Benedict), who’s had feelings for her since high school. Twenty years later, circumstances draw them closer to each other despite their obvious complications. Watch to see how this craziness ends.
4. Crazy, Stupid, Love (July 29): In this comedy, Cal Weaver (Steve Carrell) is in his 40s and life couldn’t possibly get any better for him. After all, who wouldn’t want to have a good job, big house, great kids, and married to his high school sweetheart? Unfortunately, his dream life quickly takes a turn for the worst when he discovers his wife cheated on him and wants a divorce. However, this corny guy can barely snag a date. Friend Jacob Palmer (Ryan Gosling) happens to be a player and tries to work his magic and get Cal to score with the ladies. See what happens when Cal realizes that no matter how he tries to change, his heart is one thing that can’t be replaced – and it seems to keep leading him back to where he began.
5. One Day (Aug. 19): After only one day together (their college graduation), Academy Award nominee Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess (Across the Universe) begin an undying friendship. Their characters, Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew, keep their friendship alive by remembering key moments of their relationship every July 15. But somewhere between their laughter and tears, the two discover what that graduation day really meant to them, which leads to a renewed passion for life – and love for each other.
Hopefully this list provided you with some good movie date ideas. Let us know what you think of each movie after you’ve seen them in a comment below!