Long distance relationships aren’t always easy, but that doesn’t mean they’re not worth the extra trouble. In truth, they do take a bit more effort, but with these 10 tips, you’ll overcome the miles separating you and your significant other.
1. Talk every day: No matter how far apart you are, a simple phone call will work wonders. Hearing your loved one’s voice will not only make your day better; it’ll also make you feel like a bigger part of your partner’s day.
2. Take advantage of technology: Sure, you can’t cuddle on the couch as you watch Scandal on Thursday nights…but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it together. FaceTime or iChat will allow you to share in your TV-watching night; that way, when you’re in the same place again, you’ll both know what Olivia Pope and Fitz have been up to.
3. Talk about each other: Just because your BFF may not know your boyfriend well doesn’t mean you can’t talk about him. Reminiscing about your last kiss or sharing your excitement over seeing him again with your girlfriends will bring the two of you even closer.
4. Plan ahead: In any relationship, it’s important to have something to look forward to — whether it be a simple date night at your favorite Italian restaurant or a romantic trip to Turks and Caicos. When you live in different cities, it’s even more important to pencil in your next get-together.
5. Save up: With that thought in mind, you have to save your money for those frequent plane tickets or road trips. You never want that big sale at Bloomingdale’s to get in the way of seeing your someone special.
6. Send presents: On those weekends when you can’t visit your man, send a sweet care package or simple card to let him know you’re thinking about him. Even something silly like a box of his favorite cereal will show that you pay attention to what he says — a little thing that make a big difference.
7. Text, text, text: Yes, you need to try to fit in a phone call every day, but texts will help you stay even more connected. If you get a supportive e-mail from your boss or totally screw up during your important presentation, shoot him a quick text to tell him how you’re feeling. You can discuss your days in more detail later in the evening.
8. Stay positive: Like any relationship, you’ll experience ups and downs — only those low moments may be even harder to handle without his arms around you. Surround yourself with pictures and special momentos from your time together. They’ll help remind you why you’re putting up with the long distance in the first place.
9. Feel confident: Be sure of yourself when it comes to your relationship. It’s easy to let the lack of physical closeness translate to lack of trust or jealousy.
10. Think about the future: At a certain point, you have to decide if you want to make a real commitment to your significant other. Are you willing to give up your job, your house, and your social circle to relocate for your love? If so, tell him you’re ready to take that next step.
Cupid wants to know: What’s your best tip for making a long distance relationship last?